Thursday, January 10, 2013

Music your parents grew up to


When you were in your car jamming to your favorite songs, have you ever thought of what music your parents might have grown up to? It’s really interesting to see how popular music has evolved throughout the generations.

One thing I love doing is listening to music from when my parents were growing up and trying to remember if I have ever heard them sing it before. My family is very musical and my parents are always singing or dancing, whether they are vacuuming, or just sitting down and reading the paper, so I have grown up around a lot of songs my friends probably have never even heard of.

I have a category from the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s so if you are my age (a teenager) you can see what kinds of music your parents grew up listening to!

Here are some hits from the 60’s that you may recognize because they were very popular at that time:

Ø  Ring of fire by Johnny Cash

 

I fell into a burning ring of fire I went down, down, down and the flames went higher

And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire


The ring of fire


 

Ø  My girl by The temptations

 

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day.
When it's cold outside I've got the month of May.
I guess you'd say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl (my girl, my girl)
Talkin' 'bout my girl (my girl).

Ø  Twist and shout by the Isley brothers

Well, shake it up, baby, now (Shake it up, baby) Twist and shout (Twist and shout)
C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, baby, now(Come on, baby)Come on and work it on out(Work it on out)


Hits from the 70’s:

Ø  American pie by Don Mclean

So, bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
Them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye, singing...
This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die

Ø  Imagine By John Lennon

 

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

 

Ø  I can see clearly now by Johnny Nash

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

Ø  I will survive By Gloria Gaynor

At first, I was afraid, I was petrified

Kept thinking, I could never live without you by my side

 But then I spent so many nights thinking, how you did me wrong

 And I grew strong

and I learned how to get along

Ø  Dancing queen by ABBA

 

You are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the dancing queen

 

 

Hits from the 80’s

 

Ø  Livin’ on a prayer by Bon jovi

 

Whooah, we're half way there
Livin on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Livin on a prayer

 

Ø  Beat it by Michael Jackson


Just Beat It, Beat It, Beat It, Beat It
No One Wants To Be Defeated
Showin' How Funky Strong Is Your Fight
It Doesn't Matter Who's Wrong Or Right
Just Beat It, Beat It
Just Beat It, Beat It
Just Beat It, Beat It
Just Beat It, Beat It

Ø  love is a battle field by pat Benatar

We are young, heartache to heartache we stand
No promises, no demands
Love Is A Battlefield

 

Typing up these songs has made me realize how many songs I truly know that my parents grew up loving. It’s so fun to listen to the songs that your parents listened to when you were the same age that they were. These are the songs that they danced at school dances to; these are the songs they listened to with their friends. Music really has a way of connection you with people and it’s cool to be able to connect with your parents by talking about these songs with them.  (711)

No comments:

Post a Comment